Archibald Russell was a tall ship built in 1905 by Scotts Shipbuilding and Engineering Company, Greenock for John Hardie & Son, Glasgow. She was a four-masted steel barque, equipped with two 120' long bilgekeels, and rigged with royal sails over double top-gallant sails.
The Archibald Russell sailed the world delivering a variety of cargo (including timber, grain, nitrate, and coal) to various ports in the UK, Germany, Spain, Australia, Brazil and other countries.
In 1923 she was sold for £5500 to Gustaf Erikson, who was famous for the fleet of windjammers he operated, mainly on the grain trade from Australia to Europe.
At one point prior to the outbreak of war in 1939 the Honourable Company of Master Mariners considered purchasing the ship to use as a floating livery hall, after it became apparent that the possibility of building a hall in the City of London had been rendered very remote. This idea was ultimately abandoned; however they later acquired and converted HMS Wellington to use for this purpose. Archibald Russell was sold to the British Iron and Steel Corporation in 1949, and broken up later that year by J.J. King & Co., of Gateshead-on-Tyne. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archibald_Russell_(ship) (accessed 15/9/2017)