Iron Barque, "Laira", built in 1870 at Sunderland. She was first registered in Plymouth and seems to have arrived in Australasia when her registration was transferred to Auckland in 1882. On 2 April 1898 when she was owned in Dunedin, she was in a collision with "Wakatipu" of the Union Steam Ship Company of New Zealand and sank alongside Dunedin Wharf. She was refloated and continued to work around Australia and New Zealand, under Hobart ownership in the early 1900's and Auckland ownership from 1908 to 1910. In that year she was sold to Huddart Parker & Co Ltd for use as a hulk in Melbourne.
Tonnage: 492 gross
South Australian Maritime Museum, donated by Mr Keith LeLeu