02/10/1866 - 31/12/1866

Ship Summary





Depart Date

Monday, October 1, 1866


Arrive Date

Sunday, December 30, 1866

Journey Notes

The Canterbury was signalled early on Monday morning, but the wind being very light and mirage hanging over the horizon, it was midday before she was made out. Captain Fentie was on several previous occasions in charge of immigrants to the colonies, and his account of the present importation is in their favour. He reports sailing from Plymouth on October 2, with moderate weather from the eastward, which continued for 10 days; after which it veered to the westward, and blew hard till the 16th, when a most violent gale was encountered from W.S.W. During the height of it the vessel was completely stripped of canvas, the main and mizzen topsails and courses being blown away. Nothing remarkable then occurred except the absence of the usually prevailing trades; indeed, from lat.26° north to the Line, east and southerly winds predominated. The Line was crossed on the 32nd day out, on November 3, in 31°45' west, and a short board was necessary to clear the sand; but after passing Cape St.Rogue, a strong south-east trade set in, and the course was shaped between Tristan d'Acunha and Gough's Island. Passed the meridian of the Cape of Good Hope in lat.41°43' south when 62 days out, and even then the object appears to have been to gain southing, until 45° was reached, and on that parallel the easting was made, the vessel occasionally achieving 290 nautical miles per diem. On December 24 a sudden fall in the mercury induced a sharp lookout for squalls, and a heavy gale followed; but timely precautions having been taken, it passed without damage to the ship. All the preparations for a proper observance of Christmas were marred by the severe weather, but in a couple of days after the sun was again visible; and, as a course for Cape Borda was laid down, the prospect of a speedy conclusion to the voyage raised the spirits of all. On the morning of the 29th one of the Clipper Liners was seen steering west, with a fine fair wind, but not near enough to determine whether the City of Adelaide of Yatala. The east wind continued occasionally falling provokingly light, and it was at 2pm, on the 30th before Kangaroo Island was seen. She had scarcely passed Troubridge before Pilot John Germein boarded and conducted her to the anchorage, where she will remain until about Friday or Saturday, for her draught being over 17 feet there will not be water enough on the bars before the springs. Register 2/1/1867


Your Stories

Share this Page

Share this voyage with your friends and followers online.