29/11/1881 - 22/02/1882

Ship Summary





Depart Date

Monday, November 28, 1881


Arrive Date

Tuesday, February 21, 1882

Journey Notes

Arrival of the NEBO with 419 Government immigrants. - The early morning watch at the Semaphore were looking out pretty sharply at the nautical manoeuvres in the outer harbour, when the Nebo was seen heading in from the westward under very small sail. On nearing the Bell Buoy she kept along on her course and came to anchor in a splendid position close to the ocean steamers' buoy. Dr. Norman is the surgeon-superintendant. Miss Neill is very highly spoken of as a most painstaking matron, and under her charge the single females, to the number of 110, have arrived in excellent form. The total number leaving Plymouth was 416, but three births during the voyage increased the number to 419, all of whom have arrived in excellent health, except two accident cases and one of diaahoea. In general appearance the people are a hardy, well looking lot, and of their conduct on the passage the Doctor speaks in the most favourable terms. Their recreation has been provided for in every possible way, one of the principle modes of enjoyment being cricket, which was played in a most enthusiastic manner. The vessel having a fine roomy deck provided ample space for promenade, and a fixed awning over the greater part of the main deck afforded excelent shelter from sun and rain. Graveley's distiller has furnished at the rate of 360 gallons per diem on a consumption of 6 ewt. Of coal. The school has been very well attended, and some of the Germans have paid particular attention to progressing in their studies. During the very early part of the voyage one case of measles occurred, but the prompt measures taken by the doctor had the effect of cutting off communication, and the disease was kept within limit. Otherwise the ship was a decidedly healthy one, and brought her people on without a fatality. The master reports leaving London on November 29, and on December 2 took in the people at Plymouth and sailed on the 4th, but owing to head winds did not clear the land until the 6th, and even then made but slow progress, from the south-west winds prevailing. On December 16 passed Madeira, and made some good progress towards the Line until reaching 5° N, when the trades were fallen in with. She crossed the Equator on December 24 in 37°, and after a couple of days' baffling winds had to tack to clear the Brazilian coast, and so light was the wind that several days only recorded twenty-five miles each. The south-east trades were lost in 23° S, and on January 19 was on the longitude of the Cape in 42° S, on which line the easting was rundown with such fine fair winds that on several occasions she made over 300 miles per day, and on February 10 reached the longitude of Cape Leuwin, though in still same paralell of latitude. Then the wind veered to the eastward and on the 18th made Neptune Islands, and was becalmed a whole day in the straits. On Wednesday she rounded to in an excellent position near the Ocean steamers' buoy, and was there boarded by the immigration officer (Mr. Duffield), who was very early on the scene of his duty. The vessel would tow into harbour on the following morning's tide. Register 23/2/1882.


Your Stories

Share this Page

Share this voyage with your friends and followers online.