01/07/1875 - 11/10/1875

Ship Summary




Depart Date

Wednesday, June 30, 1875


Arrive Date

Sunday, October 10, 1875

Journey Notes

With 262 government assisted migrants. The Trevelyan hove in sight on Monday shortly before noon, and having a fine running breeze was soon within boarding distance. The number of arrivals had exhausted the force of pilots, so for want of a better guide the Shipping Reporter directed the vessel to a berth near the bell buoy, where she anchored, and was promptly boarded by Dr. Duncan, who at once proceeded with the muster. The captain, a fine specimen of a British master, last year was her in charge of the Darra. Returning to England he entered upon some pursuit ashore, but owing to the, to him, monotony of the existence entered Trinder Anderson's emply, and took the command of the fine ship he has brought with immigrants. Having taken in a cargo of general merchandise she left London on July 1, and at Plymouth received three hundred people. On July 8 she sailed and next morning tacked ship off Ushant. There was a fresh south-west gale, with attendant rain, and such weather continued until the 15th, consequently the beginning of the voyage was not pleasant for the passengers, many of whom were seasick, and others were sick of the sea. On the 16th light north and north-east winds set in, continuing to 10° of north latitude, but the vessel's average speed only reached 100 miles per diem. The people on board were well over the mal de mer before reaching the tropics. There was a pyrotechnic display on August 1, and lots of fun, particulars of which were sent to England by the Hawkhope, a homeward vessel which took a mail bag on August 3. There followed a long interval of calms and doldrums, and on the 13th the Line was crossed in 24° W., and light S.S.E. winds supervened. On August 26 she had reached lat. 25° S., long. 34° W. On September 4 passed between Nightingale and Inaccessible Islands, and there experienced the first gale of fair wind in which sail had to be shortened. The breeze proved a short puff, for in a few hours it fell calm, leaving a heavy rolling sea in which the Trevelyan showed her power of rolling. The 'tween decks became a scene of great confusion, as breakers chased, beef kids with a crowd of pots, pans and kettles bringing up the rear. On September 7 the craft reached the prime meridian in 39° S. lat., and on the 11th, that of the Cape in 41½ S. This was the first really good run of the voyage, as the ship rolled off 282 miles, but that rate was not sustained, as from the 12th to the 23rd she had unsteady weather and winds from every point of the compass. This dropped the sailing rate very low, but on September 24 a "brave west wind" turned up, and for a while there were hopes of a good run in. Next day, however, the breeze fell calm, and it was October 3 before the ship passed the Leuwin. Thence to Cape Borda she had light east winds, and from there made a good run to the roads. Many people will welcome back Captain Edwards with pleasure, and look forward to his being constantly employed in the emigrant trade, for which his hearty manner and urbane conduct especially fit him. The ship will probably be towed into harbour on Tuesday afternoon. Register


Your Stories

Share this Page

Share this voyage with your friends and followers online.