01/11/1858 - 28/01/1859

Ship Summary





Depart Date

Sunday, October 31, 1858


Arrive Date

Thursday, January 27, 1859

Journey Notes

The North.- On Friday, towards dusk, the North was boarded in the Gulf by the pilot and reporters, and Captain Boyd in a most courteous manner furnished the required particulars of his passage from Liverpool, which has only occupied 87 days. On Monday, the 1st November, she was towed by the Resolute, steam-tug, down St.George's Channel, and in 23 hours was clear of the Tuskar Lighthouse, and fairly upon her passage; and, while in the British waters, Captain Boyd had several opportunities of noticing the benefits derived from the introduction into the mercantile marine of the new Admiralty signal-lights for sailing vessels, as, on seeing a vessel's lights at night, by their colour or position they indicate the tack the vessel was on, as well as the course she was heading, sufficiently well to avoid collision. The first seven days of the passage were favourable, but unfortunately an interval of 14 days then occurred in the Bay of Biscay with scarcely a breath of wind to give the vessel steerageway. On Saturday, the 21st, made the island of Fuorteventura, and in the same day passed the grand Canary Island and the Peak of Tenerife, the latter of which was seen at a distance computed to be 100 miles. While passing between those islands and the African coast a very handsome land bird, very similar to a canary, flew on board, was secured, and in company with two others now graces the ship's cabin, being quite as tame as its companions. No incident of importance occurred until the 21st, when the N.E. trade winds were entered on. On December 1 overtook and passed a smart looking American whaling barque and a very taunt brig, but neither of them having signals, their numbers were not procured. The Equinox was crossed on the 3rd December, with strong trade winds, in 24°10'west long:, and on the 10th the island of Trinidad was sighted, distant, about 12 leagues. Next day passed the tropic in 28°10'west; and the following day in lat.24°59',long.26°13'west, saw the ship New Union, from Valparaiso, homeward bound; but from the distance the ships were from each other, it was impossible to communicate by signals, although Captain Boyd was anxious to be reported. On December 20th, in 35°3'south, 13°6'west, spoke a very fine American vessel named the Juan Fernandez, bound from New York to Melbourne, 52 days out; and on the same day a Dutch barque hove in sight, with sailing qualities so nearly a match for the North that the vessels were within signaling distance for several days, although ultimately the North left her behind, bound to Valparaiso. On December 26th, in 37°53'south lat,1°1'east long, saw a very long vessel, but could not ascertain her name, although it was supposed to be the Lady Clarendon. On January 1st the Cape of Good Hope was doubled, and since that time a favourable run was made to near the Kangaroo Island, when, from the inferiority of the charts and their not indicating a strong northerly set from the Great Australian Bight, the vessel's passage was protracted at least two days longer than it would have been had Captain Boyd been furnished with charts corrected to Captain Douglas's late surveys. On nearing the island the Cape Borda light excited the admiration of all on board who saw its brilliance, and it was affirmed that it was equal to any light on the coast of Great Britain. ...[details of the vessel follow]. Register 31/1/1859


Your Stories

Share this Page

Share this voyage with your friends and followers online.