14/08/1874 - 05/11/1874

Ship Summary




Depart Date

Thursday, August 13, 1874


Arrive Date

Wednesday, November 4, 1874

Journey Notes

The St.Vincent has long been a favourite vessel, and Captain Bisset has made another remarkably good voyage, bringing a lot of intending colonists in far under the usual average number of days. The voyage has not bristled with remarkable incidents, the only things to break the monotony having been a little bad weather and the speaking at sea the ships Kirkham and Carnaquheen. On the craft’s arrival at the roads it was evident that the presence of immigrants had not added much to the ship’s appearance, so the master decided to remain outside for a day or two to put the ship in presentable trim before going into harbour. Captain Bisset looks about the same as on a former visit, and his passengers speak in eulogistic terms of him and the vessel. On August 24 she was towed from the West India Docks to Greenhithe, where the ship was swung to adjust the compasses, and then she proceeded to the Nore, where she anchored. Next day the craft started under all plain sail with a W.S.W. wind, and soon after anchored in the Downs. On Sunday, the 16th, at 4 am., she weighed and proceeded down the Channel in company with the ships Carnaquheen and Kirkham, both bound on the same voyage. On the 19th the Saint anchored in Plymouth Harbour, and on the 21st embarked the remainder of her passengers. At 7 pm., she left with a light S.E. wind blowing. Until the 28th light winds continued, and on that day Madeira was sighted. From there fine weather continued till her reaching 15° 21’N., 26° 3’W., when the north-east trades failed. Light variables and calms marked the vicinity of the Line, which was crossed on September 18, in 25° 46’W. The following south-east trades were light and unsteady, and hung so much to the southward that on September 21 Pernambuco was sighted, and the Saint tacked to the north-east, and stood on that course for 24 hours. On the 26th she lost the south-east trades in 22° 31’S., and had light east winds for a few days. On October 2 she fell in again with the Carnaquheen in lat. 28° 4’S., long. 25° 47’E., and as that ship signalled for medical assistance the St.Vincent sent her doctor on board. The second mate had damage his hand, and the wound was so inflamed that it was deemed necessary to transfer the patient, who has thus arrived before his ship. On October 12 the Saint passed the meridian of the Cape in 40 ½°S., and the craft had a fine run across the Indian Ocean, attended by fine winds and moderate weather. On November 4 she sighted Cape Borda, and on the 5th came to anchor in a first-rate berth near the Bell Buoy. The people on board are in excellent health, and have nearly all been so during the voyage; indeed, it is seldom that more immunity from sickness is enjoyed. There has been merely one death, but three births occurred during the trip. Register 6/11/1874.


Your Stories

Share this Page

Share this voyage with your friends and followers online.