"Ketches of South Australia" by Ronald Parsons, describes "John Robb" as a lighter converted to a 2 masted ketch in 1933. Owned by WS & RE Murch. Wrecked in St Vincent's Gulf, April 24, 1954, following a collision with the tug 'Falcon' that was towing a barge from Stansbury. No lives were lost and 'Falcon' was not damaged.
Official Number: 79306
Dimensions: length 66'3", breadth 18'5", draught 7'7" (1933) length 76'7", breadth 18'7", draught 6'5"
Tonnage: 61 gross, 42 net
Machinery: Aux motor, 50bhp, made in 1925 was installed.
The John Robb series of Photographs are interesting as they show the "John Robb" about 1938-1940 transporting the Granite blocks used to finish Adelaide's Parliament House. The Granite blocks were loaded at West Island, in Encounter bay, and unloaded at Port Adelaide onto rail trucks at or near Mundy St Wharf. The "John Robb" was ideal for this job, as it was originally built as a barge to carry Granite in the construction of a breakwater at Victor Harbor. Later on the Government used it in the construction of the Outer Harbour breakwater.
This image shows vessel being loaded by a crane.
South Australian Maritime Museum, donated by Mr Keith LeLeu